Crucial conversations or “tough talks” aren’t something most people look forward to delivering or receiving. To look at these talks with a glass half full mentality, they are opportunities to learn and grow by hearing feedback that will take us to another level in our development.
According to the authors of Crucial Conversations, three components are present when a tough talk is involved; the stakes are high, opinions vary, and emotions are strong. But most honest conversations are necessary. It all comes down to communication and relationships.
10 Secrets for Successful Crucial Conversations:
- Think win/win – In a win/win situation, both sides need to give and take and the truth is usually in the middle
- Seek first to understand and then be understood. Remember it’s not all about you. Keep your emotions in check. Passionate debate is fine, but respect must be present.
- It’s not what you say it’s how you say it
- Respect trumps content
- Understand the end in mind – What are we really trying to accomplish
- Be willing to give and accept influence
- Pride is the invisible enemy, be aware of your own ego
- It only takes a few seconds to shatter years of trust; beware
- Be cognizant of your own ulterior motives or agendas
- Work for the greater good